I have spent much of the last week and a half working through experiments that will hopefully result in reliable ABS printing. I am currently using ABS dissolved in Acetone to create a slurry i can pour on the printers build plate to create a thin film of ABS for parts to adhere to. Additionally I have to enclose the entire printer to keep the build plate temperature above 110C. The ultimaker company should put a more powerful heating plate in this and offer enclosure options if they are going to tell people this printer can print ABS reliably.
I was also distracted by a trip I made to Lego Land where i picked up a huge Slave 1 kit, pictured below, after the project photos.